Unfortunately, confusing emails with something that requires costly postage, Bryn Mawr College sent out the offer solely based on information gathered from personal medical records. And in this politically sensitive age, it went viral from BuzzFeed to Jezebel.
While the compilation of a "fat list" is pretty insensitive, there is nothing insensitive about the email or the OWLS program. But even PhillyMag.com's own BeWellPhilly was duped by the hype, perpetuating the claim that Bryn Mawr College is policing its students' bodies.
Why is it okay to chastise smokers to the point of shame, treat alcoholics as pathetic and diseased, but whenever someone acknowledges the very real links between obesity and everything from heart disease to cancer, they're "fat-shaming?"
- 1/3 of American children are overweight or obese.
- More than 1/3 of American adults are obese.
- 29 million Americans have diabetes.
- 86 million Americans have pre-diabetes.
- 80% of American adults don't get recommended levels of exercise.
- 75% of American teenagers don't get recommended levels of exercise.
- The World Heath Organization predicts that today's children will be the first generation in American history that won't live as long as their parents because of obesity related illnesses.